Thursday, February 03, 2011

May I be excused? Not.

KB had his surgical procedure done the day before yesterday early in the morning.  The two moles (atypical neuvi) were scraped off and stitches were put in by the dermatologist surgeon.  I had bought KB an Omnitrix
as a reward for cooperating with us to get this done.  I figured I might as well give it to him before the surgery rather than after it.  It sure came in handy because KB was completely distracted by it and talking about it the morning of the surgery.  He talked about it and explained the whole concept of Ben 10 and the different alien forms to the nurses.  When the anesthesiologist walked in and was talking to him, he challenged her saying, "I am sure I wont fall asleep no matter how much anesthesia you give me.  I have too much energy".  She was this tall, supremely confident sounding woman who turned to me and said, "He sure is a talker. I could talk to him for the next four hours!".  When it was time for him to be wheeled into the OR, I told KB I would see him in a few minutes.  I felt bad conning him like that but I had no choice.  I didn't want him to feel the anxiety.  I knew a minute after going in, they would give him the general anesthesia.

We took KG along with us to the hospital.  Both kids woke up by 5.45 a.m. that day.  B got her ready for school at 8.30 a.m. while I was inside with KB.  He dropped her at school and came back by 9.30 a.m. I was so sleepy because I had not slept much at all and I had not had anything to drink since the previous night - I just could not get myself to that morning because we were not allowed to give KB anything to drink until after the surgery.  B saw me slouched on the waiting room chair and went downstairs to get coffee and Biscotti. Of course, Murphy's law - exactly at that point the surgeon came out to tell me, "KB is up.  But he is mad because he is in a new place and he is a little disoriented because the anesthesia is wearing out".  I ran in and saw him crying loudly, with IV needles and electrodes for monitoring still stuck on him.  He hates to even have band-aid on himself longer than needed.  He was hungry, disoriented and angry with the doctors for "troubling him so much".  Somehow we managed to sign all the discharge papers and got him into the car seat and started driving when he instantly fell asleep.  He slept for a couple of hours after we got home.  He had some milk after he woke up though it was lunch time.  He had some cereal and then asked to shower.  He normally likes to shower first thing in the morning.  He was again very upset that he could not shower for a day.  I toweled him down with a warm towel and changed his clothes after which he felt OK.

He is recovering slowly now.  Walking slowly because there are two sets of stitches in his lower abdomen.  He is scared when I touch the bandaged area to apply antibacterial ointment.  I sent him to school today.  Normally after they have a quick snack during their lunch break (KB has his real lunch at home), they ask the lunch teacher, "May I be excused?" and then they go off to play.  Today KB told me, "I won't ask Mrs.X may I be excused, Mamma...I will just sit with a friend and talk because I cannot run".  Later in the afternoon when I picked him up I asked him how it went.  He said, "Mamma, twice I asked my friend E to sit with me.  But he didn't!".  I then asked KB, "Were you OK with it?". He said, "Yeah Mamma, I was OK.  I just watched the other kids play.  And I watched all the ravens".  Thank God for a boy who delights in nature and in little children.  KB loves to see little children waddling and talking baby language.  He loves to see bees trying to get nectar from flowers and watch the gulls fly up in the air and count how many of them are flying.  I felt a tug in my heart at the image of my child sitting there alone but I made myself stronger and grow just a little more as a parent.  I told him, "KB, I am so happy that you were OK.  You don't always  need a friend sitting next to you right".  He said, "Yeah, I don't always need a friend sitting next to me.  I had fun looking at the ravens".

Suture removal in two weeks.  Thanks to all of you for your good wishes.  Will keep you posted on the progress in two weeks.

15 comments:

Rohini said...

Hugs to the brave little boy.

noon said...

Ro - thanks. I read your posts just this afternoon. There were some 39 comments already. I figured I would just email you later. Which of course I still haven't done. Will mail you later.

Timepass said...

He is a brave n patient child..god bless him, best wishes for a speedy recovery

ranjani.sathish said...

Best wishes to KB for a speedy recovery. Can understand your emotions through all this. Will mail you later about it. Have been wanting to send you a nice long email ever since you posted a comment on my blog...and it is still happening !

Cantaloupes.Amma (CA) said...

KB is a trooper .. you know that right Noonie !!
God bless him.

How is KG with her brother in all this?
You stay strong ... ok?

noon said...

TP - thanks. He is brave in his own way. He is the careful one of the two kids but he is the one who has gone through three different procedures and some 3 or 4 ER visits. He copes in his own way.

Ranj - I just saw your post about story telling. How interesting!!!
Am waiiiting for your long mail! :)

noon said...

CA - Thanks. He is indeed a trooper! :) KG - she in her typical carefree way just looks at what's going on - comes with us to the hospital - has her breakfast in the waiting room and goes to school - just is a part of everything wout giving us any hassles.

on and on and on said...

Its hearbreaking to see ur kid in pain, i hav been thru it so all the gud wishes 4 his speedy recovery. my son is in 2nd grade, when his exams are over I always joke that my exams are over.

noon said...

Hi AEAS - thanks for visiting! :) True - I feel like I am in KG. And dealing with all KG issues. BTW - are you in Bnglr - you shd check out ranjani sathish's blog - if you haven't already - she is very nice.

BangaloreMom said...

Hugs to you and KB Noonie....he is SO brave...Am glad it went as smooth as it did though I am sorry all this was needed in the first place!

mnamma said...

He is one of the sweetest boys I have ever seen. "Yeah, I don't always need a friend sitting next to me. I had fun looking at the ravens". The above line made my heart melt. And LOL at "I am sure I wont fall asleep no matter how much anesthesia you give me. I have too much energy". The look on the nurse's face would have been priceless. Much love to him and good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Hi

My very best wishes to your son and your family. It is so moving to read the attitude of your son. He is a admirable child. God bless him!!

I connect to your writing a lot as i have a similar combination of a son and daughter alike in characteristics as well. Your writing is all emotion and beautiful to read.

Peace and Love from a wellwisher and blog reader!
Shree

Neera said...

Glad the procedure went well. And really hats off to KB for being the brave boy he was and handling the after effects with such maturity. Really admirable! Lots of love and hugs to him.

noon said...

Shree - thanks for such a warm comment. Thanks also for visiting. Nice to know you too have children of a similar age! Do you blog?

Neera - Thanks! Please - I don't want to see "world of .com" post again. Come on post a new one soon! Please!

Neera said...

ha ha ..will write very soon noonoo ..i needed this kick ;)